Notice

Find us on Myspace http://www.myspace.com/ajmoviereview
Where you can view trailers for our most anticipated films.

Also, find us on Facebook by clicking on the badge on the right.

We would like to take this time to thank all of our loyal supporters and to let you know we will always be around.

Sincerely
The AJ Movie Review

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dual Review: 2012


By now everyone has heard that on December 21, 2012 something is going to happen. Unfortunately for us 2012 has already arrived....

2012 is a classic disaster movie that follows Jackson Curtis and Adrian Helmsley. Jackson is a part time writer/limo driver. Adrian is a geologist who through a series of events realizes that the earth is going through dangerous changes. Throughout the movie we follow both of them as their varied paths inevitably criss-cross and eventually join.

Jared's Take: 2012 delivered what it promised. Lots of action, destruction and mayhem. What I didn't expect from it was the human element that it displayed beautifully. There were actually moments that made me feel like crying, no tears were shed though. I was shown the full range of emotions that humans exhibit. The acting was very well done and never felt over the top.


The main complaint that I have about the film is that it was two and a half hours long. I believe that some scenes could have been cut out and it would have not created any continuity issues. Another issue I have with the film is that I never really felt as if the cast was in mortal danger. I don't know if it was the CG or whether or not the acting was not as great as I thought.


Allan's Take: In spite of all the action and the world coming apart, my favorite thing about this movie was the story that takes place between Jackson and his estranged family. (Although we already saw this in Speilberg's War of the Worlds, 2005). Furthermore it was interesting seeing people from different backgrounds and cultures coming together to save the single human race. Even when it would have been easy not to.

On the negative side I didn't think the CGI efx were nearly as good as they could've and should've been. Much of the action seemed a bit too cartoonish for me. Also this wasn't a great big monumental film like I thought it would be, based on the early promotion we saw in the theatres. I also felt the movie was a bit repetitive at times and could probably have been about a half hour shorter than it was. It kinda seemed like they were forcing it into being a 2 hour 38 minute movie.

Jared's Rating: Although the movie was entertaining, I don't think I would be in such a rush to watch it again. Unless you just have to find something to kill three hours with......RENT IT.


Allan's Rating: 2012 wasn't quite as good as I was hoping it would be but it was still pretty good...RENT IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts on our review? or just want to talk, leave us a comment.