Notice

Find us on Myspace http://www.myspace.com/ajmoviereview
Where you can view trailers for our most anticipated films.

Also, find us on Facebook by clicking on the badge on the right.

We would like to take this time to thank all of our loyal supporters and to let you know we will always be around.

Sincerely
The AJ Movie Review

Friday, September 4, 2009

Review - Moon


Moon is the second movie from director Duncan Jones. It stars Sam Rockwell as Sam Bell, an employee of Lunar Industries who is on a three year contract maintaining a station on the moon that harvests Helium-3, Earth’s answer to the energy crisis. Sam is the only human crew member; however he is accompanied by the ship’s computer/robot HAL 90… I mean GERTY (voiced by Kevin Spacey). All has gone well so far, but with only two weeks to go on his contract, things begin to get a little strange. Sam starts to have visions, bad dreams, and to top it all off, he rescues someone from out on the moon’s surface who looks strangely familiar.

Now I’m going to stop right there because I don’t want to give too much of the plot away, but let me just say this: Moon is one of my favorite movies of this year. It may even be my favorite sci-fi movie of the year (sorry District 9). Sam Rockwell’s performance is what this movie is all about (as he is pretty much the only human character), and he knocks it out of the park. Watching him try to find out what is happening to him is really fascinating. The story of the movie develops so well that you are right along with him, but you never feel left behind. I can really go along with a movie that puts you into the shoes of the character. The special effects in the movie are really well done, especially considering how low-budget they are. The scenes that take place outside are really trippy and fun to watch.

I don’t really have a lot of complaints about this movie, and the ones that I do have are really just nit-picking. The only thing that really felt off to me was that there were instances in which the sound didn’t feel right. I’m not sure if it was a bad mix or what, but some spots sounded weird. But again, they were so far and few between that it never got in the way of the experience. The only other thing that I didn’t like was that there were certain elements of the movie that I wanted to hear more about. There were some areas that I would have liked the movie to have explored but didn’t. I guess that’s really more wish fulfillment than an actual complaint. The truth is, I just wanted the movie to keep going.

I don’t think it’s too difficult to figure out what rating I’m going to give this movie. If you can still find it in theaters, since it has a pretty limited release, you should absolutely…

GO NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts on our review? or just want to talk, leave us a comment.